Tuesday, June 12, 2012

In Which I Fall Off The Bike



YOU GUYS!! 18.17 miles in 1:38!!

Also, I fell off my bike this evening.

No, really. No, don't be all worried or horrified or anything like that. I'm not hurt at all! Not even wounded pride. Essentially, I had to make the choice between potentially hurting myself to stay upright, or just say "Fuck it", and lay the bike down in a ditch. I chose the ditch options.

The thing with the Wabash Cannonball Trail is that there are a TON of roads crossing it. Generally, you can just give a look each way and keep going, but there are a couple busy ones that you have to completely stop for. I'm not sure if it was Berkey Southern or Wilkins, but it was not far from finishing, in any case. Traffic was such that I had to stop. I was slightly inattentive to how close to the edge of the pavement I was, so when I set foot to pedal again, I lost control of the front tire - it turned hard into the dirt and I couldn't yank it back in time or get my foot down in time to stay upright. So I let it go, and down I went.

Scared the hell out of the Vita Guru. I think he forgets sometimes that I used to ride my bike all over Hell's Half Acre for many years before I even knew of his existence, let alone married the worry-wort. He hopped off his bike to peer at me and make sure I hadn't died, and after I made it clear I was fine, he said "You went kersplut. That's not good."

Well, true, usually, but the alternative was worse. Really, the worst part of lying upside down on an incline in the soft, wet grass, was having my 10 ton bike lying atop me. Ah well.

Wildlife seen this evening:

Beavers: 1
Woodchucks: 3
Bluebirds: 2
Cardinals: 8
Wabbits: 9
Chipmunks: OMG!
Chickens: 6
DEER!!: 1 doe, who leapt out into the middle of the trail, scaring the hell out of the kid she landed in front of, and causing me to squeal with delight.
Karner Blue Butterflies: 2 These are Federally protected, and were thought for a while to be extinct. They aren't, YAY! But they are still endangered, boo.

I'm glad the weather was cooperative today. It had rained most of the day, and I was a bit worried. But, no, it all worked out.

I'm riding in the nabe tomorrow and Wednesday. Thursday, VG and I are going out to Oak Openings to ride 36 miles. And Sunday, he says we're doing 50. Well, OK then. I guess it's sink or swim time, and I seem to be swimming just fine!

TWELVE DAYS! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I need to weed the playlist and start moving things around.


--Missy, the Fat Bottomed Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment