Thursday, May 17, 2012

I Went Out With My Biker Gang!




Torrie was over today, she brought her bike, and The Pedalin' Pansies hit the road! (That's what The Vita Guru calls us!) The weather was gorgeous, if a bit windy - OK, a lot windy! - and we set out to get Torrie into the groove.

I went once around, not quite 6 miles today. I had hoped to go a bit further, but we lost Tor at the 3 mile mark. This was her first attempt at something longer than a short ride, and I can certainly sympathize with the "Oh, hell no!" that her bod gave to her. I remember a few years back, riding over to my in-laws' place, just about 4 miles away. I couldn't ride back, it was that bad.

That's OK! We're going to keep getting her out there, keep building up her stamina, and keep encouraging her to go a little further, try a little harder. She'll get there! And it's fun to have a posse out in the neighborhood with me.

Especially today. Some time after Tor and Bubba fell behind, I cruised around by the school and some dude yelled at me to stop. So I did. He demanded to know who I was and what I was doing. Er? I told him that my name was not his business, and it should be obvious what I'm doing.

"I've never seen you around here before."

Well, I ride at different times. I'm training for a distance event.

"I've lived here six months, and this is the first I've seen you!"

Oh, wow, a whole six months? I've lived in this nabe for more than SIXTEEN YEARS! So I said so. He launched into a tirade about strangers around the school, and he would call the police if he saw me "stalking around" by school again. (A school I volunteered in for 12 years, I might add.) The hell? I told him to go ahead, but to not expect anything to come of it.

My friends all tell me I have a Weirdo Attraction Field.

It becomes ever more apparent that they're correct.

Have you been stopped while getting your daily exercise on?


-- Missy, The Fat Bottomed Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment